Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Writing Projects (Part 2: Comics)

Most of my writing for comics is self-published. I currently write or co-write four series for my own company, Dandelion Studios, and I have another series in the works. Here are the current projects:



Zephyr & Reginald: Minions for Hire is a workplace comedy about a sadly underrepresented group in the superhero genre: the villains' henchmen. Zephyr DeCastle and Reginald Ertz are a pair of unemployed engineers who find their calling (or at least a somewhat steady paycheck!) serving the forces of evil. Along the way, they must contend with substandard robots, uncooperative (but cute and cuddly) giant spiders, and a boss who is, by definition, a megalomaniac. We've got two issues published, and the third is in the touch-up/lettering phase. Gynn and I co-write Zephyr & Reginald: Minions for Hire, and Gynn handles the artwork.



Perils of Picorna is a fantasy adventure tale of a young apprentice priestess caught up in a deadly plot by enemies of her church. Perils of Picorna is girl-powered cliffhanger serial action with a bit of romance and intrigue. I co-write Perils of Picorna with Amy Kaczmarowski, and the art is by Missy Pena. The first issue of this six-issue series is now available, and Amy and I are currently writing the second issue.

Stone tells the story of a warrior woman, weary of her years of fighting and killing but drawn into one more conflict to help a small kingdom whose rightful monarch has been overthrown by a power-hungry dictator. I write Stone, and the artist is Tara Veidt. Cover art will be available soon. The first issue of this six-issue series is in the touch-up/lettering phase.

Kaeli & Rebecca: This magical series follows the adventures of a half-elven warrior and a fey priestess as they track down an evil wizard. Written by me and drawn by Katrina Joyner. The first issue is currently being drawn.

I also have plans to publish a fantasy anthology comic tentatively titled Quarterstaff Comics (the name of the fantasy imprint of my company, Dandelion Studios). Two stories for that book have been drawn.

I have an ongoing comic strip called The Hearth, a fantasy soap opera, which appears in my zine, Caravan. I also supply the writing for Dandelion Studios' nature-documentary minicomic/zine, Unpopular Species.

In addition to these projects, I have had two scripts recently accepted for comic anthologies. One of those scripts has been penciled, and the artwork on the second one will be getting underway soon. I also write the backup story for Leaves of Yggdrasil, published by Fallenmage Productions.

Major comic writing/publishing goals for this summer:

1.) Finish editing on issue 1 of Stone and get it to the letterer.
2.) Finish lettering and publish issue 3 of Zephyr & Reginald: Minions for Hire.
3.) Finish writing script for issue 2 of Stone.
4.) Finish writing script fr issue 2 of Perils of Picorna.
5.) Write issue 3 of Unpopular Species.
6.) Publish either Stone #1 or Zephyr & Reginald: Minions for Hire #3 in August. Have the other of these ready for September. Also, publish Unpopular Species #3 in August.
7.) Publish Kaeli & Rebecca #1 by October.
8.) Write the second backup story for Leaves of Yggdrasil.
9.) Seek out additional anthology work.
10.) Begin preparations to publish the Quarterstaff Comics anthology.

No comments:

Post a Comment