Sunday, September 7, 2014

The Current Writing Projects

It's been a while since I've had anything to say about writing on this "Writing and Parenting" blog, which is understandable since we've been a little bit busy lately. Relocating to the other side of the planet tends to have that effect. But that being said, I think I am settled in to the point where it's at least possible to think about writing.

Today, I headed out with the iPad to do some testing of the logistics of possible local writing venues. I try to do most of my writing away from the house. I find it works better that way. Fewer immediate distractions.

So right now, I'm at a Highlands Coffee location a few blocks from our apartment, and I've got a good wifi connection and access to my writers  on Google Docs. I have my keyboard for the iPad. I have a frozen fruity tea drink and a brownie.


This could work. :)

So, here is a rundown of current projects. Titles are all working titles (except things that are part of a series where I've already published something).

Novels

Airship Girls and the City in the Clouds

This is my MG dieselpunk novel, and it is my "current" novel project. I did a lot of workshopping of chapters of this with my writers groups back in Massachusetts. About 2/3 of the story is written. It currently needs an outline and then a from-chapter-one rewrite. That will be my big ongoing project as far as writing goes this year. It will be a big step to be able to finish a complete draft of something this size. I've written the 50K goal of Nanowrimo a few times now, but never with a complete beginning/middle/end. Not sure whether the end goal is submission to agents or self-publication (and I'm not currently really worrying about that issue, because the publishing landscape is changing rapidly and I'm concentrating on just finishing the book).

The Great Zombie Plague of 1876

My alternative history zombie western. This is in a very similar place to where Airship Girls is. Half-written and ready for an outline and a rewrite from the beginning. I've decided to back-burner this until I have a complete draft of Airship Girls just because these are both big projects and I'm doing them solo, so it makes sense to tackle one at a time. This is a fun story and I do want to come back to it, but I'm not giving it much thought beyond that right now.

Wolfen's Wizard

Collaboration with my occasional comic book co-writer Amy Kaczmarowski. We plotted this out via a freeform roleplaying game and like the story enough that we decided to do a prose version. The complete plot is written, along with much of the dialogue. At some point we're going to start turning our transcripts, which for all intents and purposes form a detailed outline, into prose. When we finally get going on this, we might want to get it out there for readers quickly (once we're both happy with it, of course), so self-publishing might be a consideration here.

Short Stories

"Unweaver" 

This is a fantasy story set in a magical version of medieval Poland. It's one of those stories that plays around with theories and systems of magic a lot, which is something that fantasy authors tend to enjoy doing every now and then. Unlike a lot of my short stories, this story was not written with a specific anthology in mind. It has some specific issues that need to be addressed in the second draft. When I'm happy with it, I'll probably start the process of sending it out to the pro short story markets.

Other Short Stories

I have three other stories "in play" right now. Two were rejected by the original venues I sent them to, and are available to send out again. The other one was accepted to a non-paying market, which has been delayed for quite a while now, to the point that I will probably withdraw it at some point to have it available to send out again. 

Comics

My Dandelion Studios comics are all on hold right now. I want to re-start them as webcomics, since I really don't have much ability to sell at conventions from here. Quick update on current work on our four titles:

Zephyr & Reginald: Minions for Hire

Our superhero comedy. Drawn by my (awesome) wife, Gynn Stella. Issue 4 is scripted and is being drawn. 

Stone

My military fantasy series. Issue 3 script is high on my writing priority list. 

Perils of Picorna

My MG fantasy cliffhanger serial series, co-written by Amy Kaczmarowski. Issue 3 is about 1/3 drawn, but on hold at the moment.

Kaeli & Rebecca

My high-fantasy series. Issue 2 script needs to be written, but it's below a number of other writing projects on the priority list.

Unpopular Species

My other collaboration with my wife. This is our science/nature zine. We could begin work on issue 6 at any time, but it will probably wait until we have plans to actually return to the show circuit in the US. That could be next summer, or it might not be for a while. In the meantime, we're working on ideas to make the Unpopular Species artwork available on merchandise that can be purchased online.

Blogs, Zines, and Miscellaneous

I have this blog, and I also post to Goodreads as well as many of the usual social media venues.

In addition, I have Comic A Day, which is my comic review blog. I brought a small number of comics with me to Vietnam, and I'll continue to post reviews, hopefully switching over to reviewing some Vietnamese-language manga at some point.

Gynn and I will probably do some print minicomics/zines about our time here, and I may put together the occasional Vietnam-based issue of my occasional zine, Caravan.

So that is where I stand on the various writing projects. I'm looking forward to giving more updates as I find the time to make progress on my writing.

Oh, and the brownie and tea drink were both delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment